Sunday, August 16, 2015

Enthusiast in Life #3 - My first Flash

I flashed my first route, a 5b, last Wednesday, yay!!!





Flash: to successfully, and without falling or resting on the rope, complete a climbing route on the first attempt after having received advice of some form on how to complete the route. 

In January 2015 I started indoor top rope climbing at the climbing gym in Nieuwegein. 
Why? Because it was said to improve my chances on reaching Mont Blanc summit. 

I signed up for an indoor top rope course to get my climbing certificate, meaning I acquired knowledge on safety measures, learned how to belay and climbed my first few routes. 
I didn't particularly like it. The people in the course were great fun, but the climbing didn't really get to me. It made me nervous and I experienced symptoms of hyperventilation when routes got harder and chances of me falling increased. 

I passed the exam, but didn't feel like I was ready to go climbing without supervision. The instructor, Patricia, advised me to enroll in a second course, Technique I, to improve my climbing skills. During the eight classes Patricia patiently teached me to control my breathing, to be confident with the material and some technique, but above all to enjoy climbing. Her passion for climbing inspired me to be an enthusiast. 

Halfway in the course I started going to the climbing gym more often. Some fellow climbers from the first course started climbing together and I tagged along. During the course I also met Monique, whom introduced me to the 'Klimgekken', which translates best as 'Crazy Climbers'. It's a group of climbing enthusiasts meeting in the gym every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday to climb and laugh. It is a various group of beautiful people: supportive and funny with a great sense of community. On Wednesday we have dinner together, Fridays are for beers and on Sunday we deny the weekend is almost over. We even made a prototype of a revelation in climbing apparel: Brute Force Climbing Wear! 
I've set myself the goal to be climbing at level 5c (French grading) by the end of this year. So flashing a 5b (and clompleting my first 5c climb without hangdogging on the same night!) is a very good start in achieving this goal. Thanks to the Klimgekkies :). Luf Yooz!

Next weekend I'll be climbing on real rock in the Belgium Ardennes, enrolling on a course to learn how to lead climb. So very excited to test my skills in the outdoors. Keep you posted! 

Be an enthusiast!

P.S. Your GriGri or mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment