Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Having problems with [World Peace], try having [Anusses for Eyes]


December 31st 2015
Remember I told you we would be playing games on NYE? 

So that's what we did. 
Brent and Megan, friends of Kait and Bryan's, picked us up and we all went over to Steph & Wes's house. Drinks and snacks in abundance (sweet and sour crockpot meatballs!), great company, top 100 songs of 2015 in the background and game-faces on; what more could you possibly want? 

We started with a game of Cranium, boys vs. girls, which, for the Dutchies amongst us, is very similar to "Party & Co". Would you happen to know how to spell 'Karate' backwards? 
The girls won..hands down..obviously! So far nothing has changed since moving here ;). 

After the game we started to count down towards 2016.
I'm not usually the "reflective" kinda girl (don't look back in anger they say), but I am going to reflect on this past year anyways. Here we go:

If I was forced to describe 2015 in one word it would have to be "Friendship". Surely the highlight of this year would be my trip to the summit of Mont Blanc. I've embraced, hugged and loved life and I became passionate about the mountains. But this trip, like all other trips, (breakfast/lunch/dinner)parties and events I've attended, wouldn't have been as amazing, fun, interesting (or passionate for that matter), frightening and successful without you (Hi there! You know I'm talking to you): my amazing friends, both old and new, and family. I'm so happy we got to share our experiences, the highs and the lows, and am forever thankful for all your laughter, tears, support, love and true friendship. You mean the world to me, even though I've only gotten to know some of you just a few months ago, sometimes things just click. Thank you!

"Friendship is not about being separated, it is about being separate and nothing changes"


Then the ball dropped: Happy New Year! *kisskiss* and we moved on to the next game: Cards Against Humanity. THE party game for horrible people. You were probably wondering why the title of this blog is so very inappropriate. Well this game is why. It is, unlike most games you played before, awkward and despicable, but hilarious! 
Each round, one player asks a question from a black card, and everyone else replies with their funniest, most despicable and inappropriate white card (fill in the blanks). 
Guess who didn't win the round, but was allegedly appointed to have played the "best card of the night"? ;)

Welcome 2016! I'm curious to find out what you have in store for me :). 


The up-the-mountain Hamilton NYE party squad. 

January 1st 2016

After sleeping in big time we got ready for a hike near Burlington to feed the Chickadee birds with the Hammel family. 

Bryan took lots of pictures and movies with his GoPro. These birds are so light, fast and cute. See it for yourself: 







For dinner we went over to Kait's parents' house and had lasagna. It's been great seeing Zach, Jamie and Caleb again and meeting Caleb's girlfriend Brooke. I love being around them, listening to their family memories, jokes and fund facts, rolling on the floor, laughing out loud. 

After watching half of the movie 'Her', trying desperately not to fall asleep on the couch (and failing miserably), I went to bed early. Seems like being up late on NYE + the jet lag might have caught up on me after all. 

p.s. made some exciting plans for the weekend of January 23rd as I'll be joining the AAG-retreat and a snowshoe event (Alberta Adventure Girls). Yay! 

January 2nd 2016

I was going to be joining Kait and Bryan to a party of one of Bryan's friends in Toronto. 
But before that we'd be going skating.. on ice! I know! Real ice.. outside! Refrigerated though, but still! You get the excitement ey?? (*dingding* #2) Even though I haven't been skating since forever I couldn't wait to give it a try. 

So we rented some skates and headed for Toronto. 

After we got settled in at Bryan's place, not very spacious (Toronto is expensiveeeeee), but perfect! Cute neighborhood and everything you'd need in a 2 block radius. 

The first few rounds on skates are terrible. I feel like..I don't know what I feel like.., but it's so uncomfortable. 
A few rounds in it does get better, but I'm sure it looked terrible. "Fortunately" Bryan again has been testing the GoPro, so stay tuned for I'll be posting some skating movies soonish! 

Back at the apartment we made dinner and had a typically Canadian Caesar cocktail. Bryan and Kait are both super excited about his mix of vodka, clamato juice (clam + tomato..I know, I know!), worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and celery salt. The verdict was quite positive. 



Caesar cocktail, including the optional celery stick.


The rest of this classic night in fast forward: subway to downtown - Houseparty at Steph's (Bryan's friend) - Drinking game #1 'Bite the Bag' - jello shot - Drinking game #2 'Medosa' - photo booth - Uber to Stone's place (Bryan's favorite bar) - shot #1 at Stone's place (what's a lime drop?) - dancing - shot #2 vliegend hertje ^^ (good memories! :)) - more dancing - Uber to McDonald's - walk to Bryan's place - eat fries from McDonald's - trying to get up to go skating at 2am - falling asleep on the couch - THE END. 


Some photo booth shenanigans!

Also I got to know Hannah and Ben at the party who will be moving to Amsterdam at the end of January for 2 years (at least). Anyone interested in showing them around town/country? Let me know! 

January 3rd 2016 

Happy birthday Kaatje! I'm sad I couldn't be there to celebrate your 24th birthday, but I hope you had the best time :). Dikke hamarmenknuffel xo!

Today we went skating a bit more and it sure felt a lot better compared to the day before. Would like to hear your judgement when I put the videos online ;). Don't be to hard on me! 

After skating Kait and I drove back to Hamilton and I went for dinner at Myriam's. As per usual Myriam and Vic made an amazing dinner, I got introduced to glass staining and learned about 'Shit'-expressions in English (The shit has hit the fan!). I love being at Myriam's. She is so welcoming and lovely. We're meeting again for coffee, before I head out West. 

Random thoughts on life on the bright side: 

I need to figure out a way to make this blogging work. I takes me hours to write and I wouldn't want to be killing you softly with all my blabbering on life in Canada. I'm sure I couldn't possibly keep you interested with updates of my 'Gilmore Girls'-marathon (I intend to work my way through all seasons.. from the top!), nor my -20 degrees celsius runs or the miniature quiches I've been making. Or would I? :)

Talk to you soon! 

Love,

Tatjana

Left: banana/peanut butter/chocolate mini-pies, right: leek/apricot/feta mini-quiches. 

THE Game!













2 comments:

  1. Schatje! Wat klinkt dat allemaal gaaaaf!! Wat is een AAG retreat? En wanneer kan ik langskomen :D:D:D Als ik weer een baan heb en ik heb zicht op mn vakantiedagen dan gaan we iets plannen hoor schaat!!!!
    Ik wil Hannah en Ben wel een keer rondleiden. Maar ik ken nog minder in Amsterdam dan zijzelf :D Dus als ze naar Den Bosch komen dan zijn ze van harte welkom :P

    Bloggen gaat harstikke goed skat! Maar wat ik zei; probeer aan elk blogje wat aandacht te geven via fb en insta :D Je schrijft trouwens echt prachtig Engels, zo knap x

    Hier gaat het goed! Heb een tweede katje die voelt zich inmiddels heerlijk op haar gemak. Heb een leuke solliciatie bij de HAS gedaan. Ben nog lekker aan het hardlopen. Nima B begonnen. Loopt allemaal lekker door hier! Miss you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lieve Mirrie,

      Thanks voor je lieve reply. Ben heel benieuwd naar een foto van je nieuwe schatje, dus ga je zo even appen daarover. Hihi. Hoe is de sollicitatie gegaan? Wanneer is je Nima examen?

      Dikke knuf!!

      p.s. AAG staat voor Alberta Adventure Girls, een facebookgroep met allemaal toffe chicks die van hiken, hardlopen, klimmen en buiten zijn houden.

      Delete