Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Recur [verb] /ree-kur/

Definition:
1. to come again into the mind; 
2. to come back in thought or discussion
3. to occur or appear again

To upgrade my English vocabulary I'm using Kait's block calendar that has a word + definition for every day of 2016. The word for Tuesday January 12 is 'recur'. Not a new word, but certainly an appropriate one, since so many fun memories recur to me being back in Hamilton. I love love love this city (did I mention that I love this city?) and it's people. From all the cute little shops on Locke street, the peculiar public transportation system, the Niagara Escarpment (also referred to as "The Mountain"), the Tim Hortons on almost every corner of the streets to it's amazing grocery stores. 

View from the mountain!

Timmies!!
Two weeks have passed since I arrived here and a lot has happened. On Monday it really started getting cold (it feels like -20 degrees Celcius!) and in the night of Monday to Tuesday we had 5 centimers of snow. A perfect Winter-Wonderland:

 Snow and a beautiful grey sky!

A short summary of events in the past few days:

  • My friend Kait, whom I'm staying with during my time in Hamilton, is doing renovations on her house. Besides installing internet (priorities!) and changing the ceiling lights, the biggest project was ripping out the old floor and putting in the new one. Last Saturday we had a little floor-reno-party! After the success of "Skating Girls", we proudly present to you our sequel "Floor Reno!". Watch it here:  
 
Psssttt... Maarten, check out the "wooden clog"-slippers in the movie ;). 
  • I've been joining Kaitie & Kait on their early morning (6 AM!) gym outings "Butts & Guts", a bootcamp program that attacks the fat in these specific regions. We've been hauling around with prowlers, doing plaid pushes, chin ups and all sorts of squats and planks. I like it! Steve, the trainer, is crazy about dubsmashes.. I still owe him two! Better get to it, before he decides I need to do two more rounds of plaid pushes ;). Pretty bonus of getting up super early, to go to the gym, is this 7.15 AM morning sky! <3 
  • I had a random Hamiltonian coming up to me saying: "I thought we had height restrictions in Hamilton?", referring to my allegedly nefarious ([adjective] - /nuh-fair-ee-uss/ - definition: wicked in the extreme) stature. Well how would you respond to that? Eventually I just smiled and giggled "I'm not THAT tall"! I'll be sure to add this encounter to my list of things any tall girl has to endure. It'll be a perfect runner-up right behind my encounter with Mr. "May I piggyback ride you, because I'm curious what the view is like from up there?" and trying to find a pair of jeans that actually are long enough (and 32 more #TallGirlProblems that I can very much relate too)
  • The Niagara Escarpment runs through the city of Hamilton. There are various stairs along the escarpment that connect "downtown" and "uptown" for pedestrians. See: this website for more info on the stairs. These stairs are often used by Hamiltonians for their workouts. Running up and down the stairs is super intensive and fun!  Since the weather has been super mild up to last Monday the stairs were still open and I was able to do my Sunday morning workout on the Wentworth stairs (498 steps!). Me and 5 other fanatics were running up and down the stairs in pouring rain and I loved it. Hah! Also, this is the perfect prep-workout for my next adventure: hiking the West Coast Trail (WCT) in the Pacific Rim National Park (British Columbia) starting September 4th. It is a 75 km trail, which takes 5-7 days to complete due to uneven, slippery, muddy terrain with wooden surfaces, boulders, rocky shorelines and STAIRS! So my time in Canmore, Alberta, starting next Friday, will be the perfect prepping environment for this challenge. Strength and cardio training + some multi-day hikes to try out gear and camping skills. More updates on the WCT-adventure soonish! :)
The upcoming days will be filled with fun activities, meetings with friends, some more renovations (door painting and bedroom flooring) AND a climbing session with Julia on Sunday!! I'm so excited to go climbing again. I've already peeked around in the gym last Thursday and it looks amazing. Check it out: Gravity Climbing Gym

How are things back home? Everyone keeping track of their new year resolutions? Have fun, keep me updated! 

Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment