Thursday, April 21, 2016

When time flies...

{For one minute, walk outside, stand there in silence, look up at the sky and contemplate how amazing life is}


Photo credit: Petr Holub

It's been a month since I've published my last post.. a month! Can you believe that? I guess time really does fly when you're having fun. A little shy of four months I boarded an airplane to Canada not knowing what was ahead of me...excited, but scared shitless. Today I'm still super excited, but no longer scared. Being in this beautiful environment, surrounded by mountains, always there but never the same, and having met so many amazing people really makes you realise how freakin' amazing life is. 

The past few weeks have been filled with some fun and/or active adventures! I guess I would be really pushing it if I tried to catch up on the entire month, so I'll stick to the highlights. Obviously I'll leave out the parts where I'm doing groceries, laundry or cleaning, because that would make me, and this post for that matter ;), a whole lot less interesting. 

Highlight of the highlights was an early AM hike up Ha Ling last week. On Saturday morning at 5.15 AM Petr, Petr, Eva and I went up the mountain to see the sunrise. #czechparty Headlamp on! Pancho, Jorge's beautiful black Lab, joined us on our adventure and we had a blast. Conditions were amazing, if you take the short slippery icy part of the trail out of the equation, and the sunrise was just plain beauty. Besides.. I cannot think of a better excuse to eat chocolate at 08.30 am than hiking up a mountain. What has been your favourite adventure lately? 









Photo credits: Petr Holub

The hiking in the greater Canmore area is just so good. Besides Ha Ling I also went up the Centennial Ridge Trail with Annie. Super steep, but amazing views! We didn't quite make it to the summit of Mount Allan due to sketchy, slippery and snowy conditions, but we had fun nonetheless and let's be honest there's not a whole lot in life that beats eating your lunch on top of a mountain! Our way down was far from graceful though.. oops..bum sliding! 



For those whom have seen The Revenant, that award winning movie with Leo, these surroundings might seem familiar, because part of the movie was shot in Canmore.. although..I just recently saw the movie and did not recognise a single peak. I didn't like the movie in general I guess.. haha.. so violent! Way, way, way funnier is the movie "A line across the sky" about the Fitz Traverse in Patagonia by Tommy Caldwell and Alex Honnold. Eva, Lada, Romca and I made our way to the Banff centre to see this movie as part of a re-screening of Banff Film Festival 2015 movies. #czechparty The night featured three mountain movies all well worth your time watching them; K2 - touching the sky, Operation Moffat and A line across the sky. And even though I'd already seen the latter on the Reel Rock 10 tour I was happy to see it again. Alex never disappoints you, because they don't sponsor failure. This movie makes me more and more eager to make it out to Patagonia one day! One day...

Also super stoked that I've been able to go climbing more the past few weeks. I've been hitting the gym a couple of times with Annie and Jorge, my buddy in crime, and we are really making some progress here. Recently climbed my first 6a without takes and my first 6b with a couple of takes on top rope. Yay! Spring has definitely sprung in Alberta and many climbing areas are good to go. Really excited to go outdoors soon and get back into climbing on real rock and some leading. Also a big shout out to the incredible India for her first climbing experience! Hope to see you more of you out there soon, sweetie :). 


Climbing the Incredible India!

Besides climbing I've been keeping myself busy riding my bike to Banff on the Legacy Trail and hiking Tunnel Mountain with Jana, slacklining in the park with Eva & Jennifer and running the trails of Canmore with or without Pancho. I can tell you one thing.. slacklining is hard! Me and that fine tree in Riverside Park are real besties now, that's for sure. #highfive 


 Run Pancho, run!

On a more cultural note I went to a concert, played Settlers of Catan and partied the night away with real good tequila at Jorge's birthday party (flip cup is never a good idea no matter what they tell you ;)). 

Jordan Klassen performed at Communitea Cafe last week and I really enjoyed the fairy folk music paired with a warm cozy cup of tea. Good vibe, good tunes, good tea. #lifeisgood 

Megan, Jenn and I teamed up for a Canmore Uncorked experience at Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. and a game of Settlers of Catan. Canmore Uncorked is a food festival; 12 days of special set-price menus, culinary events, progressive dinners & cooking classes. RMF offered a $20 set-price menu and I really enjoyed my smoked salmon flatbread pizza. Yummy!! The game of Catan was so much fun that we'll have another games night this Friday. Add tea, wine and some Taylor Swift and we've got ourselves a good good night. #lifeisgoodpart2



At mountain Mercato we also participated in the Canmore Uncorked festival. We offered a set-price lunch featuring an amazing grilled cheese sandwich with homemade ketchup and a small butterleaf salad. A real treat..especially that ketchup ;).. a real piece of art from a Czech-Dutch collaboration and lots of love! Mountain Mercato also had the pleasure of welcoming the guests of the Lady MacDonald Progressive Dinner tour in her cafe.
For a short impression of the progressive dinners click here (extra kudos for those spotting me in the clip ;))

Recently all staff at Mountain Mercato went on a little road trip into the city (red. Calgary) for some coffee training at Phil & Sebastian and a delicious lunch at SideWalk Citizen. Aimee, head of training at P&S and 2014 Soy Latte Art Champion, showed us the ropes! We got some refreshers on grinding and brewing espressos, steaming milk and the baby steps of latte art. Be aware: the best coffee in town has become even better and definitely prettier! Come by to say hi and experience it yourself.

That's it for now cuties! I'll try really hard not to have you wait yet another month for a new update on life in the Rockies.

<3 Talk soon!

p.s. Did you know that Mountain Mercato is active on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. I'm giving our social media a little boost and would love for you to follow us on either, or all for that matter, of these social media platforms. I'll keep you updated on our featured products, events & menu options or advise to kick off your day:

1 comment:

  1. So.much.fun! Did you really do all that in one month?;) Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete