Tuesday, October 18, 2016

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

I've never been exposed to poetry much. Never required much of it either. Until recently.

I found myself sitting by a campfire at Trashers Cove on the West Coast Trail. It was wonderful being all warm and toasty after our first day of hiking. A trail veteran and our firestarter, was willing to recite some of his poetry.."Religion, Love or Nature".. Three categories from which we could choose. "One of each" we decided, starting with religion. As I didn't expect much of it I stared into the fire as he spoke. Three poems in I felt goosebumps on my skin and tears in my eyes.

Religion moved me, Love inspired me and Nature got me...

Grateful I returned home. Grateful for the kilometers I've hiked, the people I've met and this experience in particular. For it inspired me to write a poem, for it reminded me to be an enthusiast in life, to express, to be vulnerable.

A tribute to a friendship. A tribute to life...

Het Leven leven
Is door ons tot een kunst verheven 
Niet met overmoed
Niet met grootspraak 
Maar met vriendschap 
Met liefde 
Mogen wij het Leven leven  

Sterker dan de tand der tijd is 
Onvoorwaardelijke steun een gegeven 
Gebaseerd op respect 
Met respect voor het jouwe 
Durven wij het Leven te leven 

Soms ongevraagd 
Nooit opgedrongen 
Puur en eerlijk 
Eerlijk zijn wij rijk 
Met deze vriendschap 

Leven wij het Leven 

Living Life
As a form of art
 Without elation
Without bluff
With friendship
With love
May we live life

Stronger than the sense of time
Unconditional support a given
Based on respect
Respect for what is yours
Dare we live life

Now and than unsolicited
Never foisted
True and brave
For the brave of heart
and this friendship
Do we live life


Lots of love. You inspire me. Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment